Sunday, November 19, 2006

Having a bad tech weekend...

I started on a quest to install Linux PPC on my older iBook G3 yesterday. I wanted to try and breathe some productivity back into it, as Apple has been phasing out G3 support over the last few years. But I'm not having too much luck so far...

I first installed Fedora Core 6 PPC, which all seemed fine until I tried to put the laptop to sleep. The whole thing crashed on wake up, and corrupted GNOME so bad, for all users, that I was unable to recover from it, even after rebooting...

Fedora Core 6 error when waking the G3 iBook from sleep
Not being in the mood to troubleshoot the thing, I decided to give a try to Ubuntu Desktop 6.10 PPC instead. Again, the install went fine, and sleep was working this time, but then I was quickly remembered why I stuck to a server environment when running Linux PPC in the past: no flash, no easy way to play video (vlc, mplayer, xine, ffmpeg, etc all crashed), no java, no wpa wireless security protocol setup by default, etc.

Aaaaaaaargh! I've had enough of that for one weekend... And it's not for lack of trying, as I've probably spent more than 12 hours giving it all a fair try. But not being the type to just give up completely, I'm getting the FC6 PPC DVD at work as we speak, and I'll try again next week. Knowing Linux, there are probably solutions to most of my problems.

We shall see.

No comments: